Saturday, January 22, 2011

Making goo!


We have had a lot of indoor days lately. I have to say it is kind of fun to just play and not go anywhere.
On our last trip to the library I found this great book. I know there are a lot of books out there on science for kids , but this one is simple and I have almost all the ingredients in the the house. 
Of all the experiments we have done so far this one is my favorite!
Making goo out of corn starch. It is truly amazing!


The book : I'm a scientist, Kitchen by Lisa Burke
She also has a backyard book that looks interesting for summer.

You start off by measuring two cups of corn starch in a bowl and slowly adding one cup of water.
It is pretty hard to mix as you can see !


Then add food coloring of your choice and keep mixing!


It is really interesting how my kids played so differently with the same goo.
My son got his hands in at once , but my daughter wanted more spoons and things to prod it with and would not put her hands in!


It was amazing to see how long they kept going. Making balls and watching the goo go from solid to liquid and back to solid. If you push your hand down on it the goo is a solid , but if you scoop with a spoon it becomes a liquid.

FUN!

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails